Could ARG_MAX be increased?

Doug White dwhite at gumbysoft.com
Thu Sep 23 10:17:47 PDT 2004

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004, Putinas Piliponis wrote:

> but this is workaround - isn't it ?

No, it's correct design. I have to deal with this at work all the time --
we have a batch processing system that uses "cat *" to feed data into
pipelines and as the dataset sizes has increased we've found places where
it explodes and has to be fixed.  Its a royal PITA.  Do It Right The First
Time and you won't have to worry about it in the future when your system
is handling 100x the data it is now.

Also, find -print0 | xargs -0 will handle files with spaces correctly.