Installing FreeBSD-5.3 on Compaq AP200

Forrest Aldrich forrie at forrie.com
Wed Sep 22 20:58:49 PDT 2004

I have this spare machine banging around which I want to put FreeBSD on.

I'm installing 5.3-beta, booting off floppies.  The kernel boot
fails/stalls at:

ATAPI_RESET time = 60us
ATAPI_RESET time = 90us
ata1-master: FAILURE - SETFEATURES SET TRANSFER MODE timed out

It identifies the 2 10gb drives in there as UDMA33.

Not sure what the problem is - I can tweak some of the IDE options in
the BIOS - currently set to UDMA.

If you let it sit for a while, it will eventually get to the "Probing
devices" screen -- and there it hangs some more.

Any ideas?  The BIOS is up-to-date, btw.

Thanks.