sparc64 buildworld is broken?

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Mon Sep 20 15:15:15 PDT 2004

At 2:00 PM -0700 9/20/04, Maksim Yevmenkin wrote:
>Hackers,
>
>i'm trying to upgrade couple of sun netra's here and having
>troubles with 'make buildworld'.
>
>netra1# uname -a
>FreeBSD netra1 5.2.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE #0: Tue Feb 24
>07:47:33 GMT 2004
>root at bobbi.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  sparc64
>
>it always stops at '===> lib/libmagic (all)'. the last few
>lines are below. complete buildworld output can be found at
>
>http://mumu.org/~myevmenk/buildworld.txt

I have only glanced at this, but here's my standard question:
What release are you trying to build?  You are starting at a
5.2.1-release system, but what are you updating to?

The little that I can add is that I just finished a buildworld on
sparc64 last night, and it seemed to go fine.  It takes me about 9
hours to do a complete buildworld, so I can't say if it is broken
right now.  In my case, I was building a 6.x-current system, but
there would be several extra steps that you really must do if you
are upgrading from 5.2.1-release to 5.x-latest or 6.x-current...

Also note that there is a mailing list for sparc64 questions.  I
suspect that most sparc64 developers are also following this
mailing list, but I can not say that for sure.

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu