ad0: TIMEOUT - READ_DMA retrying (2 retries left) LBA=207594611

Daniel Eriksson daniel_k_eriksson at telia.com
Thu Sep 16 14:05:28 PDT 2004

Ariff Abdullah wrote:

> One more thing to consider, the default scheduler. I found that those
> errors occured with SCHED_4BSD (PREEMPTION or NOT), while SCHED_ULE
> (of course without PREEMPTION, or *else*), nothing such that.

I am using SCHED_4BSD without PREEMPTION. Given the recent stability
problems with ULE I haven't even toyed with the idea of trying it since the
machine in question is a production machine.

I'm curious if this problem is in any way related to my other problem: I
cannot use ataraid and gstripe at the same time. If I start gstripe I get an
interrupt storm followed by timeouts that tears down the ataraid arrays.
Next time I feel lucky I'll try gstripe again (Pawel Jakub Dawidek told me
how to get some more debugging output from it). Only reason I haven't done
it yet is because the machine has been very nice and stable for the last two
weeks.

Which reminds me: there was an interrupt storm preceeding the messages I
got. I missed copying that line in my original "me-too" message:

Interrupt storm detected on "irq9: acpi0"; throttling interrupt source
ad0: TIMEOUT - READ_DMA retrying (2 retries left) LBA=75822564
ad0: WARNING - READ_DMA no interrupt but good status

/Daniel Eriksson