Large mem disk with not very recent current

Roman Kurakin rik at cronyx.ru
Mon Sep 13 04:20:09 PDT 2004

Kris Kennaway wrote:

>On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 12:56:51PM +0400, Roman Kurakin wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>   I have the following idea/problem. I want to build world in memory.
>>I've put in to my system 1G of memory and tried to put on it sources.
>>But all times I've tried to do that system went to panic. I've used md
>>with malloc type.
>>
>>   Any ideas?
>>

>Please provide more information.  It's likely you're trying to create
>a md that is too big, though.

It is about 800Mb. But system panics while I try to extract source tree.
It is not very recent
current. The intent of my question was to get some hints how to set up
such build area, I
belive it should help to make compilation much faster than using hard
drive. My home system
is not ready for panic investigation now. I'll update it to current and
set console to it and will
try again.

PS. Sorry to all for my last posts to current that are so weak in
"technical" details, the debug
technique I used before was without remote debugging since most of
problems were very
near my code and it was enough for me anlo three things: my mind,
printed sources, and printf.
So now I am in stage of adaptation to/setting up remote debugging.

rik