What's default value of -ftemplate-depth in GCC 3.4.2?

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Sun Sep 12 13:16:13 PDT 2004

Hello,

I am not sure if I am right, but I have a feel that it is possible that
GCC has forgotten to make the change in the document. Or, maybe someone
change the GCC 3.4.2's default in FreeBSD? Current, in the document said
that the default value is 17 but it looks like it's more than 17 to me.

http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3.4.1/gcc/C---Dialect-Options.html#C++%20Dialect%20Options

-ftemplate-depth-n
	Set the maximum instantiation depth for template classes to n. A
	limit on the template instantiation depth is needed to detect
	endless recursions during template class instantiation. ANSI/ISO
	C++ conforming programs must not rely on a maximum depth greater
	than 17.

I am working on the games/wesnoth update to 0.8.4 and it will fail build
on FreeBSD 4.x w/ GCC 2.9x. But, it doesn't fail the build on FreeBSD 5.x
w/ GCC 3.4.2. The error looks like this:

In file included from display.hpp:17,
                  from font.hpp:19,
                  from about.cpp:15:
/usr/include/g++/stl_iterator.h: In function `void
destroy<animated<unit_animation::frame,void_value<unit_animation::frame>
>::frame
*>(animated<unit_animation::frame,void_value<unit_animation::frame>
>::frame *,
animated<unit_animation::frame,void_value<unit_animation::frame> >::frame
*)':
/usr/include/g++/stl_iterator.h:154: template instantiation depth exceeds
maximum of 17
/usr/include/g++/stl_iterator.h:154:  (use -ftemplate-depth-NN to increase
the maximum)
/usr/include/g++/stl_iterator.h:154:   instantiating
`iterator_traits<animated<unit_animation::frame,void_value<unit_animation::frame>
>::frame *>'

[...goes on...]

So, I added the -ftemplate-depth-20 and it was insteresting that it will
fail the build on FreeBSD 5.x w/ GCC 3.4.2 now. Changed it to 45 and it
successed. So... This is what it makes me think that GCC team might have
change something that is undocumented. Althought, I didn't check the
changelog lower than 3.4.1. I don't know where the right place for me to
check the default value of -ftemplate-depth.

The developer of Wesnoth said that his source code doesn't has more than
10 template depth and said that FreeBSD 4.x's compiler has the bug... I am
not sure if he is right, since if I put -ftemplate-depth-20 and it will
fail on GCC 3.4.2 either.

One more thing, how can I count the template depth in any source code?

Cheers,
Mezz

FreeBSD GNOME Team