Freeze up on Beta-4

Rusty Nejdl rnejdl at ringofsaturn.com
Sat Sep 11 20:16:20 PDT 2004

I am running the latest RELENG_5 as of today with basically a default
kernel config (I added smbus support and I'm using SCHED_ULE as my
scheduler).  Since I upgraded, whenever I try to use XMMS to stream audio
and run gaim, the system will completely freeze.  I can run either program
separately and they work just fine, but if I am logged into gaim, open
xmms, and start to stream audio, as soon as sound comes across, the system
freezes.  If I am streaming audio, open gaim, and login, right before the
list of contacts opens up, the system freezes.

I am doing a portupgrade -Rf for gaim and xmms right now to see if that
has any affect, but wanted to see if anyone else was seeing something
weird like this and if anyone had any ideas.  The only other thing I can
think of would be to use SCHED_4BSD instead, but I had thought that ULE
would be a better choice for my dual xeon server.

Thanks!
Rusty Nejdl