panic: APIC: Previous IPI is stuck

Andy Farkas andy at bradfieldprichard.com.au
Thu Sep 9 23:06:21 PDT 2004

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004, John Baldwin wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 September 2004 12:39 pm, Andy Farkas wrote:
>> My box is still crashing with above APIC panic when I do a
>> make -j4 buildworld.
>>
>> In file src/sys/i386/i386/local_apic.c I tried increasing
>> BEFORE_SPIN to 100000000 but it still panics.
>>
>> Any suggestions on why this is happenning?
>
> Try changing the consant to -1.  Note that I apparently just managed to
> trigger a hard lockup on my test machine here with that change, but it had
> managed to run for about 20 hours under heavy load that panic'd in a few
> hours on a stock kernel.
>
>> FreeBSD 5.3-BETA3 #1: Wed Sep  8 00:37:07 EST 2004

I changed it to -1. Now I get a hard lockup. I assume its spinning
inside lapic_ipi_wait().

FYI: the box is a *slow* 200MHz quad Pentium-Pro. I mention this because
the IPI patches posted a couple weeks ago mention fixing fast CPUs...

Also, "this never used to happen before." (instability started late August)

-andyf