5.3-BETA3 serial console

Marian Hettwer Mh at kernel32.de
Wed Sep 8 08:21:01 PDT 2004

Hi Kim,

Kim Culhan wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Sep 2004, Marian Hettwer wrote:
>

>>ttyd0   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   dialup  off secure
>>
>>from "off" to "on" and issue a "kill -HUP 1" to initalise the
>>serial console.
>

> 1) Change 'dialup' to a terminal type such as 'vt220'
>
> 2) Create a file (if it doesn't exist already)
>
>    /boot/loader.conf.local
>
>    with the line:
>
>    console=comconsole
>
> Expect the port to be set to 96008N1

I did both steps. However... deadlock after either doing the SIGHUP on
PID 1 or doing a reboot. deadlock appears than right after the boot is
finished.
Well... it may have something todo with what I found now in dmesg:
sio0: configured irq 4 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
sio0: port may not be enabled
sio0 at port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on isa0
sio0: type 8250 or not responding

this doesn't look good, eh ?
although:
([mhettwer at ares] <~>)$ ls /dev/ttyd*
/dev/ttyd0
([mhettwer at ares] <~>)$ ls /dev/cua*
/dev/cuaa0      /dev/cuaia0     /dev/cuala0

but:
([mhettwer at ares] <~>)$ ls /dev/sio*
ls: /dev/sio*: No such file or directory

hmm... something's strange...

best regards,
Marian