BETA3 showstoppers (read: critical bugs)

Ruslan Ermilov ru at freebsd.org
Tue Sep 7 07:04:29 PDT 2004

On Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 01:11:24PM +0200, Matthias Andree wrote:
> Ruslan Ermilov <ru at freebsd.org> writes:
>
> > You updated sources, recompiled your kernel, recompiled your world with
> > -DNOCLEAN and it didn't update Netgraph-related utils?  I can hardly
> > believe that...  The header has changed, so all utils should have
> > been recompiled (if of course you recompiled them through buildworld).
>
> Indeed, I did things for the -BETA3 update the usual way:
>
> # build user-space
> cd /usr/src
> make -DNOCLEAN buildworld
> # build kernel-space
> cd /sys/i386/conf
> config MA5
> cd ../compile/MA5
> make depend
> make
> # install everything
> make install
> cd /usr/src
> make installworld
> # update configuration
> mergemaster -i
> # get kernel
> reboot
>
> I know the official way is to reboot into the new kernel before the
> installworld, but the reboot and installworld together should have fixed
> the problem anyways.
>
> Running "make clean all install" in the ngctl, nghook and ppp
> directories fixed the problems I was seeing.

I checked the contents of .depend files for the said utilities, and all
of them contain dependencies on ng_message.h (the one that was changed).
I don't know what happened in your case, but everything looks correct.
Here's what I did:

1.  A clean buildworld (with an empty /usr/obj).
2.  touch(1) src/sys/netgraph/ng_message.h.
3.  A -DNOCLEAN buildworld.

And here's the complete list of things that were rebuilt as a result:

===> lib/libnetgraph
===> lib/libbsnmp/modules/snmp_atm
===> lib/libbsnmp/modules/snmp_netgraph
===> libexec/pppoed
===> rescue/ (atmconfig)
===> sbin/atm/atmconfig
===> usr.bin/atm/sscop
===> usr.bin/kdump (this one is getting always rebuilt with -DNOCLEAN)
===> usr.bin/netstat
===> usr.bin/truss (this one is getting always rebuilt with -DNOCLEAN)
===> usr.sbin/bluetooth/bcmfw
===> usr.sbin/bluetooth/bt3cfw
===> usr.sbin/bluetooth/hcseriald
===> usr.sbin/ngctl