xorg & KDE 3.3 startup issues in 5.3 BETA3

Adam Smith adam at internode.com.au
Mon Sep 6 17:36:25 PDT 2004

I recently installed FreeBSD 5.3 BETA2 which has since been upgraded to 5.3
BETA3.  I also installed Xorg from /stand/sysinstall (not from the ports)
and then KDE 3.3 from the ports.

When I launch kdm and log in, Xorg ignores my .xsession or .xinitrc files
(whichever I have created) and loads only an xterm window (with no window
management around it.)  I need to type 'startkde' in this window to
actually kick KDE off and get it initiated, and upon closing this window
Xorg terminates itself.

As a result now, whenever I log in I need to manually type 'startkde' and
then keep this xterm window open on another desktop somewhere out of the
way.  This happens both through kdm and initiating 'startx' from the
command line.

I have made my .xsession file mode 755 for good measure and also tried both
just 'startkde' and '/usr/local/bin/startkde'.  No difference.

Has anyone else experienced any problems of a similar nature?  Does anyone
have any possible fixes?

$ cat .xsession
/usr/local/bin/startkde

$ pkg_info | grep xorg
xorg-clients-6.7.0_3 X client programs and related files from X.Org
xorg-documents-6.7.0 Documentation of X11 protocol and libraries from X.Org
xorg-fonts-100dpi-6.7.0 X.Org 100dpi bitmap fonts
xorg-fonts-75dpi-6.7.0 X.Org 75dpi bitmap fonts
xorg-fonts-encodings-6.7.0 X.Org font encoding files
xorg-fonts-miscbitmaps-6.7.0 X.Org miscellaneous bitmap fonts
xorg-fonts-truetype-6.7.0 X.Org TrueType fonts
xorg-libraries-6.7.0_1 X11 libraries and headers from X.Org
xorg-manpages-6.7.0 X.Org library manual pages
xorg-server-6.7.0_5 X.Org X server and related programs

--
Adam Smith
Internode	: http://www.internode.on.net