RFC: 5.3 Migration Guide

Michael Nottebrock michaelnottebrock at gmx.net
Sun Sep 5 17:06:26 PDT 2004

On Monday 06 September 2004 01:27, Bruce A. Mah wrote:
> Howdy--
>
> I've volunteered to rework the 5.X Early Adopters Guide into a Migration
> Guide.  The focus of this document is less about discouraging unwary
> users and more about what kinds of changes users might encounter when
> they move from 4.X to 5.X.
>
> I'd like to solicit a pre-commit review on the document at:
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~bmah/pub/article.html

Nice document!

One thing I'm missing:

The pthread libraries change probably requires people to recompile things
linked to it if they're migrating from 4.x - users updating from 5.x-Releases
can get away with setting up libmap.conf (maybe this is true for updating
from 4.x as well, can some threads expert comment on it?).

   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org