Sound performance problems in FreeBSD

Markus Hästbacka midian at ihme.org
Sun Sep 5 02:57:03 PDT 2004

Hello list, I've experienced sound performance issues from the very first
day I tested 5.x. The problem was that sound skipped whatever I did. Now
I've reduced the problem a bit with changing my kernel config (No, any
debug option isn't on or haven't ever been on when I've tested sound
performance). After I recompiled the new kernel the sound didn't skip
anymore, but now after 10 hour uptime and 5 hours of mp3 playing the
skipping is back. The skipping is like every second there's a weird noise
if I listen to something, like the track would go slower for 2/10 seconds
of every second, you can imagine how annoying this can be.

IMO it feels like some buffer is full or something and then it starts the
skipping.

My system:
FreeBSD miduxBSD 5.3-BETA3 FreeBSD 5.3-BETA3 #0: Sun Sep  5 02:07:42 EEST
2004     midian at miduxBSD:/usr/src/sys/i386/compile/MIDUX  i386

01:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1 (rev
07)
01:06.1 Input device controller: Creative Labs SB Live! MIDI/Game Port
(rev 07)

Ask if you need more information.

 	Markus