Panic in propagate_priority() [5.3-BETA2]

Robert Watson rwatson at freebsd.org
Wed Sep 1 20:32:55 PDT 2004

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Patrick Guelat wrote:

> Since nobody answered to the problem yet that I reported a  few days
> ago I did some more tests and got several panics since then...
>
> I'm trying to run OSPF6 on a gif-tunnel between a Cisco-7206VXR and a
> box running 5.3-BETA2 and get a panic everytime I start ospf6d (from
> /usr/ports/net/quagga).
>
> It always ends in a panic in propagate_priority(), sometimes I get the
> following panic-message:
>
>      panic: process 37 (swi1: net):1 holds rip but isn't blocked on a
> lock
>
> "rip" is the lock defined in netinet/raw_ip.c which is also used by the
> netinet6/raw_ip6.c.

A couple of questions:

- Is this an SMP box?
- Is PREEMPTION enabled on the box?
- Are you using net.isr.enable=1 or debug.mpsafenet=1?

Is WITNESS compiled into your kernel, and if so, when you drop to DDB from
panic(), what does "show pcpu", "show locks", and "show locks 37"
indicate?

robert at fledge.watson.org      Principal Research Scientist, McAfee Research