Gvinum RAID5 performance

Lukas Ertl le at FreeBSD.org
Sun Oct 31 14:56:36 PST 2004

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 freebsd at newmillennium.net.au wrote:

> Now, running a dd from a plex gives me less performance than running a
> dd from one of the subdisks, even though the array is not running in
> degraded mode.

I'd consider this normal behaviour, since you have to go through the
offset calculation.

> 31237376, 31613728, 31990080, 32366432, 32742784, 33119136, <machine
> consistently locks up at this point>

This should be fixed with my latest commit to geom_vinum_plex.c.

> On a final note, I'd like to implement the ability to grow RAID5 plexes
> - any suggestions on where to start?

You need to relocate all parity stripes when you want to do that.

cheers,
le

--
Lukas Ertl                         http://homepage.univie.ac.at/l.ertl/