5.3-RC1 problem with SiI 3114 (Tyan S2882 in i386 mode) with some disks

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC chad at shire.net
Sun Oct 31 08:37:57 PST 2004

Hi

I have a Tyan S2882 dual opteron running 5.3-RC1 (I think -- uname says
5.3-STABLE but I did it soon after RC1 came out -- I must have misread
which branch to synch with).

I have 1 WD 36GB Raptor SATA drive and 2 WD 200GB SATA drives.  These
are not the boot drives or anything.  An Adaptec 2200S with 2 SCSI
based RAIDs are the main boot and used disks.  The SATA is for swap and
backup and "play" space.  The SiI 3114 is used in "ultra" mode, which
is the "plain disk" mode. It is not in "raid" mode.

This machine was running 5.2-CURRENT from about mid summer.  The
onboard SiI 3114 was not working right at the time I had last updated
the system, but I did not get the following error.  Under 5.2-CURRENT
the Raptor and one of the 200GB drives was hooked to a Promise SATA
card and the last WD card was hooked to the SiI 3114 but not used due
to some problems.  After I updated to 5.3 (I believe RC1 as I said
above), the machine will no longer boot with the following errors (if I
hook the same drives to a Promise SATA card) this is not a problem and
the disks work.  (This is with one disk on the SiI 3114)

ata7-master:  FAILURE - ATA_IDENTIFY status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR>
error=4<ABORTED>
ata7-master:  FAILURE - ATA_IDENTIFY status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR>
error=4<ABORTED>
ata7-master:  FAILURE - ATA_IDENTIFY timed out

If I put all 3 disks on the SiI 3114 and remove the promise card, the
Raptor drive is found correctly but when it goes to find the first
200GB drive, the same error pops up (the ata bus number changes)

ata3-master:  FAILURE - ATA_IDENTIFY status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR>
error=4<ABORTED>
ata3-master:  FAILURE - ATA_IDENTIFY status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR>
error=4<ABORTED>
ata3-master:  FAILURE - ATA_IDENTIFY timed out

Since the drives seem to work fine with the Promise card, I think the
drives are OK.  It happens with both 200GB drives, in any order I put
them.  The 36GB Raptor does seem to be found OK at boot though.

I updated the Tyan MB bios (which updated the SiI bios) to the latest
available from the Tyan website and the problem still happens.

Unfortunately I cannot use the Promise card in production as it is not
a 2U compatible card and this is a 2U server.   Up to now, since it is
in testing for the last 6 months, I have left the lid slightly askew
for the cables, but cannot do that when I put the machine into
production, which I want to do soon, when 5.3-RELEASE comes out or soon
thereafter...

It seems that there is some problem in the ATA driver for this chip???

Thanks
Chad