USB Key Disk Boot

Mike Tancsa mike at sentex.net
Sun Oct 31 05:28:13 PST 2004

At 01:04 AM 31/10/2004, JT wrote:
>Hi
>
>Has anyone already developed or had experience with getting FreeBSD to run
>off a USB key disk?

Yes, I have been playing around with NANOBSD (/usr/src/tools/tools/nanobsd)
on a Lexar Jump drive.  Dont use USB 2.0 as it seems broken with this unit

Change the Makefile to use
DEVICE?=        da0
and make.conf, you need to add
NO_BIND=yes

Do a make and then
dd if=_.i of=/dev/da0 bs=64k

where da0 is your USB key drive

And you should be good to go.

One thing I have not figured out is how to change programatically what the
default is to boot.  If I physically go to the console and hit F1 or F2,
the next time it will change the default. But I dont know how to do that
without physical access to the keyboard.  I think I am just
misunderstanding boot0cfg.

         ---Mike