USB Key Disk Boot

David Adam zanchey at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Sat Oct 30 23:24:04 PDT 2004

> I am looking to run a minimal FreeBSD build on a USB key disk as a network monitoring system, but I am having great difficulty getting information on how to do so. FreeBSD is my preferred *nix OS, but if I am not able to get a USB boot solution in a reasonable time, I will have to move my project to a Linux based solution as there are already Linux USB boot systems out there.
>
> All assistance is appreciated. I think that even if I could get some info on the BSD bootup sequence/etc I might be able to build something workable.

I believe there is currently code in the FreeSBIE CVS that allows you to
install FreeSBIE (which is a FreeBSD 'live CD' distribution) onto any
target device - including pen drives.

http://www.freesbie.org/

Note that this ability is *not* in FreeSBIE 1.0 or 20040919. You will need
to check the code out of CVS. Instructions are on this page:

http://www.freesbie.org/?section=cvs-en

Hope you get it working. I'm sure the freesbie at gufi.org team will be happy
to help you out if you have problems. They also hang out on IRC,
irc://irc.azzurra.org/freesbie .

Cheers,

David Adam
---