ATA problems with current

Jake Scott jake at poptart.org
Fri Oct 29 11:27:11 PDT 2004

Hi there.

I've been using FreeBSD 5.2.1 for a while now and just tried an upgrade
to current.  I now get a timeout during boot when it tries to detect the
devices on the primary ATA channel.  If I move the boot device to the
secondary channel it works fine.  But I need devices on the primary
channel working.  I've ruled out the cables and disks, as devices/cables
that are fine on channel 0 are not fine on channel 1.

The motherboard is a Gigabyte 6VX-4X - making the controller a VIA
82C686A.  I've had trouble with the USB ports on this motherboard... is
this ATA chipset known to be dodgy?... in which case I'll just get a PCI
based controller - or is there something else obviously wrong?

The error during boot is:

    FAILURE - ATA_IDENTIFY  timed out

Many thanks

Jake