EHCI considered harmful?

Mike Tancsa mike at sentex.net
Fri Oct 29 08:44:41 PDT 2004

At 09:11 AM 29/10/2004, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
>Well, if we would take stability and general usefulness (even more so in
>comparison to other USB implementations in mind) as the reference point, we
>would need to disable most of USB. I think enabling ehci in GENERIC would be
>a good idea, especially since there's no loadable module...

On my Intel 865 box, its pretty easy for me to lock the system up with 2
different types of USB key drives (Lexar and SANDISK). The system also
sporadically locks up at boot time, if I have a Keyspan USB-Serial device
plugged in using EHCI.  For new users, I think its more important that the
system works.  If one wants to experiment with USB2, its not that hard to
compile a custom kernel.

         ---Mike