dhclient trashes my resolv.conf

Mike Jakubik mikej at rogers.com
Thu Oct 28 09:57:12 PDT 2004

Oliver Lehmann said:
> Oliver Lehmann wrote:
>
>> I've tried supersede domain-name-servers ""; in /etc/dhclient.conf, But
>> that seems to have no effect. I can't see any other way to prevent
>> dhclient from touching my resolv.conf in that man page. Maybe you can
>> point me?
>>
>> man 8 dhclient-script says
>>
>> HOOKS
>>        When  it  starts,  the  client  script  first defines a shell
>>        function, make_resolv_conf , which is later used to create  the
>>        /etc/resolv.conf file.    To  override  the default behaviour,
>>        redefine this function in the enter hook script.
>>

> Martin,
>
> do you think, it is a good solution to overwrite the function definition
> to prevent overwriting your resolv.conf? Wouldn't be a rc.conf parameter
> easier for beginners to "get", and more stringent to the whole system of
> configuration?
> What do others think?

I think it would be a great idea to add a rc.conf variable that would
control the behaviour of dhclient and dns. In windows for example, when
you set to use DHCP for an interface, you are given the option to obtain
DNS from DHCP or set is statically. Simillar functionality via rc.conf
variables would be ideal in my opinion.