5.3 & SMP How do I know my 2 CPUs are used?

Andre Guibert de Bruet andy at siliconlandmark.com
Thu Oct 28 06:07:47 PDT 2004

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004, Rob wrote:

> I have tried to create a kernel for my dual CPU motherboard:
> Intel Pentium III (801.82-MHz 686-class CPU)
>
> But what is the command that proofs to me that
> both CPUs are indeed recognized and in use.
> Is it the dmesg output, or mptable command?
[snip]
> So? Am I there? Is my FreeBSD now running on two processors?

One cannot tell from the text that you pasted. Look for the following
message to be printed out in a boot -v:

FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 4 CPUs
  cpu0 (BSP): APIC ID:  0
  cpu1 (AP): APIC ID:  1
  cpu2 (AP): APIC ID:  2
  cpu3 (AP): APIC ID:  3

I have a boot -v and a kernel config for a dual-proc athlon up at:
http://bling.properkernel.com/freebsd/boot-v.txt
http://bling.properkernel.com/freebsd/BLING

> With the top command, I can't see anything special for my 2 CPUs.
> Is that right?

Under SMP, there's a "C" column that shows up:

  PID USERNAME PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE  C   TIME   WCPU    CPU COMMAND
2782 root       5    0  2080K  1448K ttyin  3   7:35  1.95%  1.95% systat

Regards,
Andy