dhclient trashes my resolv.conf

Tillman Hodgson tillman at seekingfire.com
Wed Oct 27 18:05:47 PDT 2004

On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 04:30:44PM -0700, David O'Brien wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 12:22:51AM +0200, Oliver Lehmann wrote:
> > > Why don't you just 'man 5 dhclient.conf' and do things right??
> >
> > I've tried supersede domain-name-servers ""; in /etc/dhclient.conf, But
>
> Rather than a blank string, have you tried putting in the actual name
> servers you want to use?  dhclient will still write a resolv.conf for
> you; but it will put the content you want in /etc/resolv.conf with these
> directives.

When I used to use dhclient I tried that.

Didn't like it. There's more to resolv.conf than just server lines, and
I didn't find hooks to put the other content in (the search directive
especially). I'd love to find a clean way to have dhclient handle
that--my search directive has 3 domains, and I need that capability.

-T

--
"Well, I wanna tell you people 'bout something I know.
 Money beats Soul.  Everytime."