Installing on a machine with no PS/2 ports (USB only)

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Tue Oct 26 22:04:43 PDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-10-27 at 00:56, Andre Guibert de Bruet wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
>
> > The more I look into this, the more it looks like I'm screwed.  I'm
> > trying to install FreeBSD 5.3-RC1 from CD on a machine without any PS/2
> > ports.  All I have is a USB keyboard.  Yes, the BIOS has legacy USB
> > support enabled, and the keyboard works to hit enter at the initial boot
> > prompt.  However, once I'm in sysinstall, I'm out of luck.
> >
> > I tried disconnecting the keyboard at boot time to see if I could get a
> > serial console to do the installation, but that didn't work.  The
> > console was still detected as internal video.  Any ideas on how I can
> > get FreeBSD on this machine (Dell OptiPlex GX280)?  Thanks.
>
> Joe- When in doubt, a good old hard drive swap works wonders... :)

Yes it does, but are new users to FreeBSD going to be willing to do
this?  I really think we should make the effort to support both PS/2 and
USB keyboards during install, or we may find that users will look
elsewhere.

That said, I built boot floppies, created a /boot.config on my boot.flp
with "-hD", and I'm now doing a serial console install.

Joe