Panic on shutdown -r now

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Tue Oct 26 19:00:16 PDT 2004

At 7:53 PM -0400 10/25/04, David Boyd wrote:
>I am resubmitting this (see 10/7/2004) because it persists
>in 5.3-RELEASE.
>
>System is very recent (last night) cvsup of RELENG_5.
>
>Motherboard is Intel D865PERL.
>
>The system is setup to collect a dump after a panic, but none is
>ever found.  Also, the corrupted output after "Shutting down ACPI"
>is about as good as it gets...  sometimes the console (vga or
>serial) displays just one or two "random" letters (usually an "s").

Earlier this year, I had seen similar garbage output on some of my
systems at shutdown.  I don't remember the details, except that I was
not getting any panics, and that the garbage went away at some point.

Are you sure the system is set up correctly for collecting coredumps?
When you are using a serial console, can you do a serial-break, and
force a coredump?  (just type in "call doadump()").  See if that
gives you a core dump after you reboot.  The contents won't be
important, but it would tell you if coredumps themselves are working.

The main reason I ask is that I thought coredumps were not working
for me either, but it turned out that I had forgotten to add options
KDB, DDB, and BREAK_TO_DEBUGGER in my kernel config.  Once I added
them, coredumps worked fine for me.  (but then, this is on a single
CPU system, and I notice you have multiple CPU's)

>It doesn't appear that disabling ACPI has any effect on this
>problem.

When you disable ACPI, then when does the garbage output occur?
I assume you do *not* see the "Shutting down ACPI" message when
you have ACPI turned off.

>Shutdown -p now always performs a power off.
>
>The system is temporarily a spare, so I can do anything that you
>think may help.

In your kernel config, do you have hyperthreading (HTT) turned on?
(I notice your CPU's support it)

I do not know enough about kernel debugging to be of any help,
but those are a few questions which came to mind.

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu