HEADS UP: ULE off in 5.3

Miguel Mendez flynn at energyhq.es.eu.org
Mon Oct 25 23:55:14 PDT 2004

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 20:26:41 -0600
Scott Long <scottl at freebsd.org> wrote:

> A lot of poeple have noted recently that a lot of bug reports are
> coming in with strange symptoms, and only after a lot of detective
> work does it turn out that the submitter is using the ULE scheduler.

What are the short term plans for ULE? I understand turning it off for
RELENG_5, so I take it will be tested in HEAD? ULE has many nice
features and it would be a shame that it wasn't tested well enough so
that bugs can eventually be fixed.

> out and not compile at all for RELENG_5 and RELENG_5_3.  The time
> spent debugging ULE-induced problems is causing way too much lost
> time, and we need to focus on debugging the supported configurations,
> not the unsupported ones.

But it has to be tested at some point in time, else it will be in limbo
state for ever. Maybe a note in UPDATING explainning the situation would
be convenient so people willing to devote time to test and help fix ULE
can do so.

Cheers,
--
	Miguel Mendez <flynn at energyhq.es.eu.org>