Panic during 'shutdown -p' on 5.3-RC1 & vr0

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Sat Oct 23 23:35:15 PDT 2004

At 7:04 PM -0400 10/22/04, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
>At 1:33 PM -0600 10/22/04, Scott Long wrote:
>>Garance A Drosihn wrote:
>>>
>>>Would this problem cause any panics during 'shutdown -p' processing?
>>>I just loaded up a brand new machine with 5.3-RC1, and it works fine
>>>except that it almost always panics when I do a 'shutdown -p'.  I
>>>just finished building a new world to make sure I have all the
>>>latest changes, but I haven't installed that yet.  Should I rebuild
>>>the kernel with this change included?
>>
>>I would tend to suspect ACPI here.  Do you have kind of DDB info
>>from the panic?
>
>Okay, I just rebuilt it with all the latest updates from RELENG_5_3 ,
>and here is a panic message from 'shutdown -p now':

Okay.  Here are some more details on the panics I see:

a. I was seeing them all the time at `shutdown -p', but never
    with `shutdown -r' (or at any other time, for that matter).
b. if I startup with ACPI turned off, I will not see a panic at
    `shutdown -p'.  Of course, that also means that the machine
    does not really power down by itself.  I would have to be
    present to flip the 'off' switch.
c. All of this testing has been done using the 'vr0' ethernet
    interface, which is on the motherboard that I have.  It happens
    that I wanted to have a second ethernet interface for testing.
    I added an PCI card with a sis0 ethernet interface, moved the
    ethernet cable to it, and changed rc.conf to use sis0.

    Since I switched to using sis0 instead of vr0 for ethernet, I
    have not seen any panics from doing `shutdown -p' with ACPI
    turned on.  The machine now does power down completely.

All of this is on RELENG_5_3, up-to-date as of about 4pm on Saturday.

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu