5.3-BETA "burncd blank" hangs in 50% of cases

Scott Long scottl at freebsd.org
Sat Oct 23 12:26:33 PDT 2004

Maxim Sobolev wrote:
> Hello? Is anybody home?
>
> -Maxim
>
> Maxim Sobolev wrote:
>
>> Hi Soren,
>>
>> I've noticed that burncd blank command hangs in 50% of cases (at least
>> with CD-RWs). Every time symptoms are the same: progress goes to 29%
>> and then just hangs indefinitely. ^C allows to close burncd. However,
>> the disk appears to be blanked just fine, since the following burncd
>> data starts writing from LBA 0 as expected.
>>
>> In remaining 50% of cases, the progress indicator goes slowly to
>> 20-something%, then quickly jumps to 90-something% and then burncd
>> exits correctly.
>>
>> As I said the problem is easily reproducible so that I am ready to
>> provide any necessary debugging information.
>>
>> My CD-RW runs in UDMA33 mode, but the problem persists in PIO mode as
>> well. Other than that, it burns and reads CD-RWs without any problems.
>>
>> It would be nice to have this fixed before 5.3 goes out.
>>
>> -Maxim

Sorry, I assumed that others would have jumped in by now.  I see similar
issues myself, and sometimes even fixating a CD will 'hang'.  Since it's
not fatal, just annoying, I don't consider it a show-stopper.  Of course
it will be nice to fix it at some point.  My guess is that either the
driver and burncd aren't using the correct command to get status from
the drives, or the drives are just generally marginal and refuse to give
accurate status.  We can investigate it further at a later time, I guess.

Scott