Annoying SCSI waiting...

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Fri Oct 22 14:24:53 PDT 2004

At 4:08 PM -0500 10/22/04, Dan Nelson wrote:
>In the last episode (Oct 22), Scott Long said:
>>  For just about everyone, a value of 2 seconds or less is just fine.
>>  For those with tape drives, changers, and (less likely) cdroms, a
>  > long delay after reset is still quite necessary.
>
>I don't think the scsi code even does a bus reset, does it?  That
>should have already been done by the card BIOS during bootup, if at
>all.  I have have been setting it to 1s for at least 5 years, on
>systems with SCSI disks, CD-Rs, autoloaders, and tape drives (dds
>and dlt) with no ill effects.

Just to be clear, I personally would not push for it to be that low.

5 to 7 seconds would be fine, IMO.  I realize that it's only 15 seconds
now, but it's amazing how annoying those 15 seconds can be if you are
booting multiple times (while setting other things up, or doing some
testing).  The first time I ever built a non-generic kernel, the only
reason was to change this value, because the wait was driving me nuts.
And that was, geez, many years ago.  Maybe I am just an impatient fellow.

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu