X300 + USB DVD/CDRW + SD Card problem

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Fri Oct 22 08:14:31 PDT 2004

In message: <20041022132034.GA13342 at mygiea.ham01.thiemo.net>
            Thiemo Nordenholz <nz at thiemo.net> writes:
: > But when i try to insert my SD Card (256MB Transcend) i have the following:
: > Oct 22 17:10:20 latitude kernel: cbb0: PC Card card activation failed
:
: Are SD cards supported by any free OS at all?

I've had reports of pcmcia adapters working, as well as first hand
experience with a usb adapter working.  There has been one report of
SD reader connected via an ATA interface to a cardbus bridge that
works, but I've not been able to confirm it directly.

: I have recently started working on support for a SD card reader in my HP
: Pavilion but then noticed very quickly that there seems to be no SD card
: specification available unless an NDA with the SD Card Association...

That's not entirely true.  You can get a slightly redacted version w/o
one:
	http://www.sdcard.org/sd_memorycard/index.html

: So I suppose reading SD cards directly on fBSD is just not possible -- my
: suggestion would be an external card reader, usually USB. Please do correct
: me if this is wrong, and I'd be happy go on searching for a way to access
: Winbond W83L51xD  Cardreaders.

There, you are right.

Warner