wifi on 5.3, sort of OT

Freddie Cash fcash at ocis.net
Thu Oct 21 09:22:20 PDT 2004

On September 30, 2004 12:08 pm, Rob wrote:
> I didn't see a wifi mailing list, so thought I would ask here, where
> the real experts hang out  ;)

> I am tired of having to log into windoze in order to access my
> network over wifi.  I think this would be much easier if I wasn't
> using a notebook. From reading the handbook it appears that the
> process will take some doing, since I need wifi plus cardbus.

> Problem seems to be right now that my Netgear WG511T cardbus card
> doesn't seem to be reconginized.

I have the same card at home.  In order to get it to work with BETA7 I
had to install a new Atheros HAL.  This can be downloaded from the
people.freebsd.org/internal/ website, although I forget the name of the
person who did the patchset.  You download the patchset, patch the
source tree, and rebuild the Atheros modules.  After that, everything
worked just tickety-boo.

You'll need to search the -current archives for the patchset, or I  can
send it to you later tonight.

I've now got three Atheros-based wireless NICs working beautifully at
home (D-LINK DWL-G650 rev. B2, NetGEAR WG511T, Toshiba-branded Atheros
5212) all connecting to a D-LINK DI-624.  All running on FreeBSD
5.3-BETA7, and sometimes Windows 98SE and XP Pro SP2.

> wi, cardbus, pcmcia, and the bridge are all compiled into my kernel.
> Possibly a couple other related devices.

You need ath and ath_hal in the kernel (or loaded as modules), not wi.

--
Freddie Cash
fcash at ocis.net