Solution? Re: pxe-install on FreeBSD 5.3

Tim Dettloff dettloff at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 16:38:59 PDT 2004

After a lot of searching I think I have found the problem.

Both sys/nfsclient/nfs_diskless.c (, bootp_subr.c) and sys/dev/md/md.c
sets rootdevnames[0] which is used by sys/kern/vfs_mount.c to select a
root. On 5.2.1 nfs set it first and the setting was later overwritten
by md. I suspect that this commit
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/cvs-src/2004-March/021449.html
changed that order, so that nfs now overwrites the md setting.
I suggest that nfs is modified so it sets rootdevnames[1] instead of
[0]. As far as I can see [1] this is not used for anything. That way
md is alway tried first and then nfs.

>Tim.