[Fwd: What do people think about not installing a stripped /kernel ?]

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Wed Oct 20 09:56:51 PDT 2004

In message: <6ff30abd04102008396bb61196 at mail.gmail.com>
            jamie rishaw at google mail <mitigator at gmail.com> writes:
: > However, I'm going going to take exception that it isn't a disk space
: > issue or that size doesn't matter.  Size does matter.
: >
: > For a 64MB CF this would be a deal killer,
:
: Not if you can turn it off.. which was said in the OP

Didn't I say exactly this?  Is there some need to repeat what I said
in the first line of my reply?

: > and that's the size of the
: > parts we're using now.  With our X based systems, these cards are
: > starting to fill up.  In addition, we sometimes deploy new kernels to
: > the field and 16MB takes a lot longer to upload than 3MB (think really
: > bad connectivity to many of the remote locations our systems may be
: > deployed in).
:
: [?relevance?]

Concrete example.  Not a theoretical one.  This is why it matters.
People around here tend to not go in for theoretical ones :-)

: > I also have several machines where / is short on disk space, and I'd
: > turn it off for them.  It is simply too much extra to put on there.  I
: > could repartition these machines, but that's a huge pita and costs way
: > too much in time and down time to do.  The cost here isn't in disk
: > space, but the hundreds or thousands of dollars of labor and/or
: > opportunity costs.
:
: Sure. If you dont read /usr/src/UPDATING .

>From UPDATING:
     This file is maintained and copyrighted by M. Warner Losh
     <imp at village.org>.  See end of file for further details.

:-)

Warner Losh