Slow disk performance on FreeBSD 5.3 beta

Brett Glass brett at lariat.org
Tue Oct 19 10:05:49 PDT 2004

I'm benchmarking the latest beta of FreeBSD 5.3 against 4.10,
and am finding that disk performance is siginificantly slower.
(I've scanned the list archives and have seen that others have
reported similar problems.) Yes, I've turned off every debugging
option I can find, so it's not that. I have to build a high
performance system for disk-intensive tasks this week, and so
will use either 4.10 or Dragonfly (a fork of 4.x-STABLE) for it.

Has anyone identified the bottleneck? Is it in the ATA drivers
themselves, or in another subsystem like geom or UFS2?

--Brett Glass