ata1-slave: FAILURE - ATAPI_IDENTIFY timed out

Rabauke t.c.mcqueen at gmx.net
Tue Oct 19 09:38:25 PDT 2004

Hej Simon,

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 17:20:29 +0200
"Simon L. Nielsen" <simon at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On 2004.10.19 14:27:25 +0200, Marian Hettwer wrote:
>
> > today I cvsuped to releng_5 and did the whole buildworld, buildkernel,
> > installkernel, installworld and mergemaster stuff.
> > I got 5.3Beta3 running before.
> >
> > The GENERIC Kernel (as build during the update process) stops after
> > succesfully detecting my harddisk (ad0) with two times the message:
> > ata1-slave: FAILURE - ATAPI_IDENTIFY timed out
> > ata1-slave: FAILURE - ATAPI_IDENTIFY timed out
>
> Yes this is a "known problem".  I'm have tested a few patches for sos@
> on my ThinkPad R40, so hopefully this should be fixed soon.

yepp. I read your thread in the mailing list archives ...

> > Well, unluckily I'm not able to get the OS booting, therefor I can't even
> > downgrade to the last BETA ...
> > any idea how I can get my FreeBSD booting again ?
>
> You should have a kernel.old you can boot from.  Just break into the
> loader and type "unload" and the "boot kernel.old".

unluckily I did the mistake of doing an installworld, before I tested the new kernel.
Now I'm stuck with a non booting FreeBSD - yeah, that was my fault.
kernel.old doesn't work. Either because it's a kernel of BETA3, or because it's already a new world (as from today).

Well... I tried to boot a LiveCD, to mount my filesystems and get chrooted and then do a downgrade via cvsup. Unluckily I can't do a make buildworld from my LiveCD System. Probably because the kernel isn't in sync with the world I'm using in the chrooted environment.

Looks to me like I should try to save the important data and then do a reinstall ;)

Thanks for your help anyway.

best regards,
Marian

PS.: I thought, man, FreeBSD 5.3-BETA3 runs like charm - this will be a great 5.3-release. Then I did the stupid mistake of doing an upgrade to RELENG_5 without checking wether the kernel works or not. Damn Me ;)