Read-only ReiserFS support for FreeBSD 5.x

Kalev Lember kalev at colleduc.ee
Tue Oct 19 11:40:55 PDT 2004

Jean-Sébastien Pédron wrote:

> Since this summer, I've been working on bringing read-only ReiserFS
> support to FreeBSD 5.x. Based on Linux 2.6.7, it seems now fairly stable
> on the boxes I use, and it's time to share it with the community.
> Because this is my first kernel development, I guess it's buggy and
> slow, so use with caution :) Furthermore, you should know this is under
> the GNU GPL license.

Good job!

One of the things I have missed in FreeBSD is a good journaling
filesystem. This is one of the places where Linux beats BSD: Linux
supports far more filesystems that the BSDs do.

Writing a journaling filesystem from scratch is not a trivial thing to
do, however. Maybe we should consider using ReiserFS or some other
journaling one as FreeBSD's primary filesystem now that the 6-current is
branched?

One of the issues with ReiserFS is the licence of course.

--
Best regards,
Kalev Lember