Problems with nslookup

Sean McNeil sean at mcneil.com
Fri Oct 15 11:20:40 PDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-15 at 11:09, Jonas Cédric wrote:
> Bonjour Sean McNeil,
>
> Le vendredi 15 octobre 2004 à 20:00:50, vous écriviez :
>
> Sean McNeil> On Fri, 2004-10-15 at 10:53, Jonas Cédric wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Since update to BETA7 and the change to the imported BIND9, I have following
> >> problem:
> >>
> >> icarus# nslookup
> >> nslookup: couldn't get address for 'žèë¿¿Õ': not found
> >> icarus#
> >>
> >> Before the update, I had a BETA2 system with BIND9 (from the ports) -
> >> I deinstalled it and followed the instructions in UPDATING... I try to
> >> rebuild the world, delete the nslookup files before but nothing
> >> help...
> >>

> >> Sorry for my bad englisch, but I do what I can ;-)
>
> Sean McNeil> You probably have an old version of
> Sean McNeil> nslookup in your environment.  Do a
>
> Sean McNeil> which nslookup
>
> Sean McNeil> it should be /usr/bin/nslookup.  Any other
> Sean McNeil> version should be deleted.
>
> Sean McNeil> Cheers,
> Sean McNeil> Sean
>

> icarus# which nslookup
> /usr/bin/nslookup
>
> I do all this, how described in UPDATING...
> I forgot something: the only system where it fails is the one where
> BIND9 was previously installed as a port, the 2 other ones are Ok.

Are there other differences?  Do you have locale set the same for all?
Can you check the /usr/bin/nslookup on each to see if they are
identical?  How about trying nslookup on a working setup with the same
/etc/resolv.conf to make sure you are talking to the same dns servers.

All I can do is suggest some diagnosis as I haven't seen a problem here.

Sean