Belated, partial cvs-src summary for October 4-11

Mark Johnston mjohnston at skyweb.ca
Thu Oct 14 20:39:44 PDT 2004

I'm sorry, folks, but I'm going to have to punt on this week's summary.  I've
got most of the summary for you, but no discussions.  I'll spare you further
complaints about my packet loss woes; suffice it to say that they're keeping
my evenings very interesting.

Without further ado:

FreeBSD cvs-src summary for 04/10/04 to 11/10/04
newsletter is marked up in reStructuredText_, so any odd punctuation
that you see is likely intended for the reST parser.

.. _reStructuredText: http://docutils.sourceforge.net/rst.html

You can get old summaries, and an HTML version of this one, at
http://www.xl0.org/FreeBSD/.  Please send any comments to Mark Johnston
(mark at xl0.org).

If you would like to get the summary without subscribing to current@,
please send mail to freebsd-cvs-summary-subscribe at lists.enderunix.org.
Thanks to Omer Faruk Sen and EnderUNIX for hosting this list.

For Lukasz Dudek and Szymon Roczniak's Polish translations of these
summaries, which may lag the English ones slightly, please see
http://mocart.pinco.pl/FreeBSD/.

.. contents::

======
Errata
======
`Last week`_, I summarized a discussion about changing rm's behavior.
A number of the messages were complaints about the initial commit
message.  I failed to point out that Dag-Erling went back later and added
a descriptive commit message, as well as later making the new behavior
effective only when the POSIXLY_CORRECT environment variable is not set.

.. _`Last week`:
http://excel.xl0.org/FreeBSD/04-10-04.html#changing-the-behavior-of-rm

============
New features
============
pbio driver for Intel 8255 PPI devices added
Diomidis Spinellis (dds) committed a driver to 4.x that supports Intel
8255A-based PPIs (parallel peripheral interfaces) and other hardware that
emulates them.  The 8255 is a chip that handles up to 24 general-purpose
digital I/O lines in 3 8-bit ports.  Later on, M. Warner Losh (imp) ported
and committed the driver to -CURRENT.

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?200410071145.i97BjLm6013567
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?200410071621.i97GL3lu029620

auxio driver for sparc64 LEDs added
-----------------------------------
Pyun YongHyeon (yongari) committed a port of NetBSD's auxio driver, which
provides auxiliary I/O on various UltraSPARC systems.  Currently, the
driver controls the system's front panel LED.

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?200410090731.i997V4Hp074292

===============
Notable changes
===============
FreeBSD keyword eliminated from /etc/rc.d files
Mike Makonnen (mtm) removed the FreeBSD keyword from files in /etc/rc.d.
The keyword was used to control boot order, but is no longer needed.
The effect of this change is that when you run mergemaster, you will be
prompted regarding changes in all of the affected files.  If you have not
changed the files in /etc/rc.d, you should be able to remove them all,
then run mergemaster -i to install the new versions.  Be careful when
doing this that you finish the process completely before attempting to
reboot.

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?200410071355.i97DtSJq024575

=================
Committer changes
=================
Sam Leffler (sam) introduced Stephan Uphoff (ups) as a new src committer.

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?200410061610.i96GAlBC044052

Robert Watson (rwatson) introduced George Neville-Neil (gnn) as a new src
committer.  George has been working on network stack locking and cleanup
and is one of the authors of the recent book "Design and Implementation of
FreeBSD".

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?200410111424.i9BEOure066236

===============
Other bug fixes
===============
Max Laier (mlaier) fixed a bug in pflogd that would cause it to use all
available CPU if the pf module was unloaded.

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?200410050826.i958QYn6026610

Peter Edwards (peadar) fixed a panic on boot on systems with 2.88MB floppy
drives.

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?200410102340.i9ANe06w011084

Scott Long committed fixes to growfs, which enlarges filesystems, that
allow it to be used to grow filesystems significantly - the new growfs
has been used to grow an 8 GB filesystem to 1.9 TB.  Previously, it was
useful only for enlarging by a trivial amount.  This fix was obtained from
Sandvine, Inc.

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?200410090253.i992rl3M051822

Shinsuke Suzuki (suz) committed a fix to the 4.x STABLE branch to a bug
that could cause a kernel crash when the net.inet.ip.rtexpire sysctl was
set to 0.  This sysctl controls the default expiry time on routes that are
learned dynamically.  The fix was obtained from KAME.

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?200410060235.i962ZHwq099146

Nate Lawson (njl) fixed a problem with UFS1 that resulted in problems with
files over 1 TB.  The fix was submitted by Bruce Evans (bde).

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?200410092016.i99KG6ma017422