Broadcom bge and 802.1Q vlan tags

Roubicek Zdenek (T-Systems PragoNet) Zdenek.Roubicek at pragonet.cz
Tue Oct 12 07:49:16 PDT 2004

> On Tue, Oct 12, 2004 at 09:24:15AM -0400, Don Bowman wrote:
> > From: Ruslan Ermilov [mailto:ru at FreeBSD.org]

> > > There appears to be a bug with drivers that support VLAN tag
> > > striping in hardware in case no VLAN interfaces are configured.
> > > In this case, ether_demux() will just proceed like if it was
> > > an untagged Ethernet frame.  glebius@ promised to fix this bug.

I do not quite understand this statement.
Does this mean that in case I do not have VLAN configured (ifconfig
vlan100 create etc.)
 - ether_demux() will not work for bge interface properly on trunk ports
(seeing 802.1Q frames but expecting Ethernet II frames), this is what I
would expect
 - or it will work OK, it is able to see all frames as EthernetII, since
tag has been stripped off by underlying HW and I cannot distinguish
which packet comes from which vlan

> > > Zdenek, unfortunately, the bge(4) driver doesn't allow the
> > > user to disable hardware vlan tag striping (like, e.g., the
> > > em(4) driver allows), so you cannot watch VLAN frames on this
> > > box using tcpdump or ethereal.

Any chance for a change? Having the option to disable hw vlan striping
would be handy. At least for me :)

 Thanks for the info so far. At least now I know it is not because of my
hands.

Zdenek