Library problems on fresh BETA 7

Dimitry Andric dimitry at
Tue Oct 12 02:45:33 PDT 2004

On 2004-10-12 at 11:38:38 Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

> Is recompiling absolutely necessary?  I think not.  I didn't have to
> rebuild cvsup from its sources, this is why I'm asking.

> I just pkg_delete'd on my workstation at work last night and installed
> cvsup from the package.  Here's what I see now:

> : orion# ls -l /etc/libmap.conf
> : ls: /etc/libmap.conf: No such file or directory
> : orion# ldd `which cvsup`
> : /usr/local/bin/cvsup:
> : => /lib/ (0x2810a000)
> : => /lib/ (0x2811a000)
> : => /lib/ (0x28126000)
> : => /lib/ (0x28130000)
> : => /lib/ (0x2814a000)

And here you see that your version of cvsup uses from /lib,
which is the old version.  The current (bumped) version is,
and .2 should be in /usr/lib/compat (if you build with COMPAT4X=yes in
make.conf).  As long as it stays there, you should be able to run any
"old" executables.

So it's not absolutely necessary to update your ports, but then again,
it's also not absolutely necessary to update your system at all. :)