How to safely clean out /lib, /usr/lib?

Kirk Strauser kirk at strauser.com
Mon Oct 11 08:04:12 PDT 2004

I have a metric buttload of ancient libraries in /lib and /usr/lib, some
probably going back to the original FreeBSD 3.3 installation on the
machine.  I've run libchk to get a list of unreferenced libraries, but I
wanted to ask before I throw myself to the mercy of my backup tape: is
there any reason not to delete all of those old libraries?

On the same subject, I've periodically gone through {usr,}/{s,}bin after an
installworld and deleted all commands more than a month old or so, the
logic being that any commands not updated by world are remnants that can be
purged.  Is that a reasonable assumption?
--
Kirk Strauser