csh is root's shell?

Dariusz Kulinski takeda at takeda.tk
Sun Oct 10 11:24:08 PDT 2004

Hello Nikolay,

Wednesday, October 6, 2004, 4:02:38 AM, you wrote:

>> I've recently discussed with the port maintainer of tcshrc to work at an
>> update of the port (our distfile is from 2003), but if you have already
>> done work is this area please say, I don't wanna duplicate yours.
>> If not, maybe I can send you a diff when is ready to test it ?
> Ok here is a Simple dot.tcshrc file which needs more testing and
> cleanup. I removed some stuff which are not working very well under
> FreeBSD in new versions of tcshrc scripts from the original author.

Here are another things I found:
- setting mail is not defined (it's in default dot.csh) and it's nice
  thing, it tells that there is new mail in mailbox.
  set mail = (/var/mail/$USER)
- variable MANPATH is defined, because of that users using this tcshrc
  cannot call man for i.e. installed ports:
  [freebsd]:/home/takeda> manpath
  (Warning: MANPATH environment variable set)
  [freebsd]:/home/takeda> unsetenv MANPATH
  [freebsd]:/home/takeda> manpath
  Looks like MANPATH variable in FreeBSD is only for compatibility,
  and FreeBSD uses /etc/manpath.config
  I would recommend to change MANPATH to some other variable, and put
  in it the results of calling manpath command i.e.
  set manpath = `manpath`
  and do whatever it supposed to do,
- last thing, this is apparently bug in tcshrc.
  When I was using chown command and trying to complete file name that
  had dot in it. After I put dot and pressed tap I saw user accounts
  instead a files...

Best regards,
 Dariusz                            mailto:takeda at takeda.tk