NO_YP_LIBC breaks 5.3-BETA buildworld

Eirik Øverby ltning at anduin.net
Sat Oct 9 12:57:35 PDT 2004

Hoi,

On 9. Oct 2004, at 21:38, Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:

> On Sat, 9 Oct 2004, Eirik Øverby wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> For some time I've been wanting to use NO_YP_LIBC with buildworld for
>> my jails, to enable NIS on the host system but keep the jails
>> functioning.
>>
>> I noticed back in August that a patch was submitted to make this work
>> on then-CURRENT (I'm copying the author on this one, hoping I'm not
>> acting inappropriately by doing so):
>> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-arch/2004-August/
>> 002550.html
>>
>> Sadly, when compiling 5.3-BETA (as of 30 minutes ago), buildworld
>> gives
>> me the following errors:
>> This feature would be very useful, and it is sad to see that it has
>> once been in the tree but that it does not work any longer.
>>
>> Here's to hoping someone can look into it (Bjoern, are you reading
>> this? ;)
>

> the patch had not yet been committed because of some people had asked
> me to hold back the work until other major things that really had been
> needed for RELENG_5/5.3 would have been done.

I can see why.. ;)

> Now, I will need at least another week to catch up with all the things
> (mostly bind import) that have changed (I will be short of time till
> at least wed or thu).

No rush for me.

> NO_YP_LIBC will then be changed to NO_NIS.

Makes sense.

> I will post a patch for current and RELENG_5 here resp. on stable@ once
> I have verified everything works well. I will also update bin/68303
> at that time.

If you need help testing I can put this beast into a production-like
environment in no time.

> You will not find this feature in 5.3 but the upcoming patch for
> RELENG_5 should help and should be available around release time.

This is the only piece of bad news I see in your reply. Does that mean
I'll have to keep applying patches every time I want to upgrade my 5.3
(and 4.x) systems, with the risk that it stops working at some point -
and no updated patch is immediately available?
Or does it mean it will go into the RELENG_5 tree after 5.3-RELEASE
(which is perfectly OK obviously)?

> I hope that's ok for you.

Sure, at the end of the day, I can't have everything I guess - I'll
make do with what comes. Thanks for your quick reply!

/Eirik