rndc/bind9 weirdness

Matt matt at xtaz.net
Sat Oct 9 08:00:19 PDT 2004

Clive Lin wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 09, 2004 at 12:35:01PM +0100, Matt Smith wrote:
>
>>Basically you can only reload it once and then it'll refuse to talk unless
>>you run /etc/rc.d/named restart.
>

> Hi,
>
>     My first guess is to verify the /etc/namedb ->
> /var/named/etc/namedb link. I have production name server running with
> 5.3-BETA7 in jail without problem, and I can `rndc reload` as many
> times as I want. (some more jail specific tweaks, although still in
> default chroot mode.)
>
>     If my memory serves me right, I solved the same problem by make
> the link correct.
>
> Cheers

The symlink and /var/named structure is fine as i completely rm -rf'd
them before letting the new named rc.d script create them. I found the
issue but am not sure what to do about it. On the second reload there is
a message in syslog saying:

none:0: open: /etc/namedb/rndc.key: permission denied

So I am assuming because the chroot is set to /var/named it can't access
this or something?

Matt.