5.3-BETA7 - kernel hangs on boot - Toshiba Satellite A30

Adam VanderHook acidos at bandwidth-junkies.net
Fri Oct 8 05:26:32 PDT 2004

On Thu, Oct 07, 2004 at 09:42:52PM +0100, Gavin Atkinson wrote:
> I have no idea about the hang in ACPI mode, but try setting
> hw.pci.enable_io_modes=0 from the loader when booting with ACPI disabled.
> All recent Toshiba laptops i've played with recently have needed that.

If I try that while doing an 'unset acpi_load' at the booter, it hangs
in the same place.

However, disabling it and leaving ACPI still enabled worked.  Booted up
fast, but then I started getting errors as it tried to access the
CD-ROM.  Going to try it with some other 5.x series CDs I have around at
home when I get out of work.

Still, that is _really_ weird though.

Adam

--
"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to
be serious when people laugh."  -- George Bernard Shaw

Adam VanderHook
acidos at bandwidth-junkies.net
http://acidos.bandwidth-junkies.net/