Vinum problems in 5.3-BETA7?

Patrick M. Hausen hausen at punkt.de
Fri Oct 8 05:23:23 PDT 2004

Hi all!

We have a production system that runs on a vinum system drive
configured like this:

cab# vinum l
2 drives:
D b                     State: up       /dev/ad1s1h     A: 0/114494 MB (0%)
D a                     State: up       /dev/ad0s1h     A: 0/114494 MB (0%)

4 volumes:
V root                  State: up       Plexes:       2 Size:        256 MB
V swap                  State: up       Plexes:       2 Size:       3072 MB
V usr                   State: up       Plexes:       2 Size:       4096 MB
V var                   State: up       Plexes:       2 Size:        104 GB

8 plexes:
P root.p1             C State: up       Subdisks:     1 Size:        256 MB
P swap.p1             C State: up       Subdisks:     1 Size:       3072 MB
P usr.p1              C State: up       Subdisks:     1 Size:       4096 MB
P var.p1              C State: up       Subdisks:     1 Size:        104 GB
P root.p0             C State: up       Subdisks:     1 Size:        256 MB
P swap.p0             C State: up       Subdisks:     1 Size:       3072 MB
P usr.p0              C State: up       Subdisks:     1 Size:       4096 MB
P var.p0              C State: up       Subdisks:     1 Size:        104 GB

8 subdisks:
S root.p1.s0            State: up       D: b            Size:        256 MB
S swap.p1.s0            State: up       D: b            Size:       3072 MB
S usr.p1.s0             State: up       D: b            Size:       4096 MB
S var.p1.s0             State: up       D: b            Size:        104 GB
S root.p0.s0            State: up       D: a            Size:        256 MB
S swap.p0.s0            State: up       D: a            Size:       3072 MB
S usr.p0.s0             State: up       D: a            Size:       4096 MB
S var.p0.s0             State: up       D: a            Size:        104 GB

It's currently running fine with FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE-p10.

After upgrading to 5.3-BETA7, buildworld, buildkernel, installkernel
and reboot the system stops:

vinum: loaded
vinum: no drives found

That's it. Of course it complains that it can't mount /dev/vinum/root.

The list of detected GEOM devices at the "mountroot> " prompt
includes ad0s1h, ad1s1h, ad0s1, ad1s1, ad0, ad1 and some more
partitions.

Where do I go from here? Is this expected behaviour due to the ongoing
GEOM changes or should I go read Greg's "how to debug vinum problems"
document? I will do that, no problem. Just want to know if it makes
sense at all, because now everyone might tell me "vinum is known broken in
5.3" or similar.

Thanks,
Patrick
--
punkt.de GmbH         Internet - Dienstleistungen - Beratung
Vorholzstr. 25        Tel. 0721 9109 -0 Fax: -100