Noticable Delays Since Beta 3

cpghost at cordula.ws cpghost at cordula.ws
Fri Oct 8 01:15:39 PDT 2004

On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 09:18:29AM +0930, Benjamin Close wrote:
> I believe the issue is with the scheduler or something related to it.
> The effect seems to occur when a process
> hasn't been used for a long time and then is suddenly switched from a
> wait state to an active state.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm observing here.

> Once the process responds it runs fine until the next long delay. It
> seems more responsive with BETA7 but no where near the same as before
> the scheduler change.

Again, same observation here.

> It might be a symptom related to X, will test overnight in console.

It definitely happens in text mode console too.

Just one more hint: After typing something on the console, it takes
2 to 5 seconds BEFORE there is disk activity, then there's a reply.
It seems like SCHED_4BSD (?) needs some time of its own before
deciding to swap the process back in (just guessing here).

However, this doesn't explain why the mouse freezes in X while in
motion. Perhaps when moving over a window of a long time idle process?

Regards,
-cpghost.

--
Cordula's Web. http://www.cordula.ws/