digi(4) panics 5.3-BETA6

Peter Jeremy PeterJeremy at optushome.com.au
Thu Oct 7 22:32:41 PDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-Oct-05 19:39:52 +1000, Peter Jeremy wrote:
>I've just tried loading 5.3-BETA6 onto a HP DL380 that has a DigiBoard
>Xem and found two (critical for me) problems.  I've upgraded to just
>before BETA7 (I'll try upgrading again tomorrow) with no change.
>
>Problem 1:  Using tip on a Digi port causes an instant panic dereferencing
>  a NULL pointer.

This turns out to be a long-standing bug in digi(4) that became fatal
following phk's re-working of the TTY subsystem a few months ago.
Basically digi(4) doesn't use ttymalloc(9) and its hand-crafted struct
tty's are no longer good enough.  There's a patch in kern/72436 and it
would be nice if this could be applied before 5.3 goes out.  (Does
anyone else use DigiBoards?)

Note that the patch won't apply to 6-CURRENT after phk's update a few
days ago (which I wasn't aware of when I wrote the patch) - ttyalloc()
doesn't exist in 5.x so merging fixes from 6 to 5 is going to be a PITA.

>Problem 2: The system won't reboot.  It hangs after the 'rebooting' prompt
>  and needs to be powered off/on to recover.  Disabling ACPI has no effect.

A colleague and I are still investigating this.  Further datapoints:
- The reboot after installing 5.3-BETA6 hung.
- You can reboot from single-user mode but not from multi-user mode.
- Enabling BROKEN_KEYBOARD_RESET has no effect.
- It doesn't seem to be the Broadcom NICs.
- The problem doesn't exist in 4.10

I've had a look at the PR database and haven't seen anything similar so
one of us will submit a PR once we've done a bit more sleuthing.

--
Peter Jeremy