Weird errors with gtar on 5.3-BETA7

Christopher Nehren apeiron at comcast.net
Thu Oct 7 08:11:12 PDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-07 at 09:55 -0500, Kirk Strauser wrote:

> But shouldn't the "--one-file-system" option stop it from attempting to
> recurse into a mountpoint in the first place?  bsdtar seems to handle that
> situation as expected:

Actually, I just recently had to make some archives of a whole disk with
GNU tar, and I found that the --one-file-system option does not do as it
claims, for some reason. I ended up having to pass each directory by
hand in order to get it to behave. Oh well, yet another GNU fallacy. /me
installs bsdtar on his 4.X system.

By the way, please keep me CC'd in all replies. I'd prefer to not have
to sift through dozens of mails to see if someone replied to me.