mergemaster just screwed me

Sean McNeil sean at mcneil.com
Thu Oct 7 00:21:37 PDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-10-06 at 22:59, Andre Guibert de Bruet wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Oct 2004, Ryan Newman wrote:
>
> >> From: Sean McNeil <sean at mcneil.com>
> >> To: freebsd-current at freebsd.org
> >> Subject: mergemaster just screwed me
> >> Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 11:48:58 -0700
> >>
> >> I just ran mergemaster and it deleted my named.conf and everything
> >> else.  I'm guessing it did an rm /etc/namedb/* or something like that.
> >> My system was setup correctly with /etc/namedb linked to
> >> /var/named/etc/namedb and it was all placed properly. :(
> >
> > This sounds scary.  Does fbsd need something other than mergemaster or is
> > this just a bug likes to randomly remove files ?
>
> I don't mean to be an ass, but you *need to read UPDATING* when you
> upgrade CURRENT. The 20040928 entry detailed the steps required for a
> smooth transition from bind8 to bind9.

Just to test a little more, I saved off my config in a tar with:

var/named/etc/namedb
var/named/etc/namedb/master
var/named/etc/namedb/master/internal.rev
var/named/etc/namedb/master/localhost-v6.rev
var/named/etc/namedb/master/localhost.rev
var/named/etc/namedb/master/vmware.rev
var/named/etc/namedb/master/mcneil.com
var/named/etc/namedb/master/metricmass.com
var/named/etc/namedb/master/metricmass.org
var/named/etc/namedb/slave
var/named/etc/namedb/PROTO.localhost.rev
var/named/etc/namedb/PROTO.localhost-v6.rev
var/named/etc/namedb/named.conf
var/named/etc/namedb/named.root
var/named/etc/namedb/make-localhost
var/named/etc/namedb/rndc.key

Then I tried mergemaster and it deleted my stuff.  I thought it might be
the /etc/namedb symlink, but deleting that made no difference.

Cheers,
Sean